Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Cancer, leave me alone!

Another update.  Sorry it's been so long.  And yet again, it's about cancer.  It's stalking me, I swear.

 So, recently my mum went and had the BRAC Analysis done.  She's positive for the second mutation.  For those of you who know nothing about it, let me explain.  Basically, she has a 95% chance of getting ovarian cancer and/or breast cancer sometime after 50.  She's 50.  She, her ovaries are already gone, no biggie there.  She went and had an MRI of her breasts done and there is an area that showed some concern.  Not anything serious now, but her surgeon thinks that sometime next year, that area will be cancer.  Therefore, she's scheduled to have a bilateral mastectomy, or, in laymens terms, she's having her boobs removed.  She'll have implants put in at the same time she has the breasts removed so it's not like she'll be boobless.

Last week, I found out that one of my cousin's (age 35), had an abnormal mammo and ultrasound.  She had to have an area biopsied and it came back as cancer.  I'm 27, not much younger than this cousin.  She's doing the same thing as my mum and having her breasts removed and implants put in.  Since she's so close to my age, I'm now going in to get my BRAC Analysis testing done.  If I'm positive, I've already decided to have a bilateral mastectomy and get implants put in.  I haven't had kids yet and I don't want to get breast cancer while I'm pregnant.  Plus, I was bottle fed and turned out just fine.  My BRACA test isn't for a few weeks.  I'll update when I get  the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment