I have to give a bit of background and explanation, so bear with me. First, for those unfamiliar, women, after the age of 18, go to the doctors yearly to have a pap smear to check for abnormal cells that could become cervical cancer. Anyway, I was about 6 months late for my yearly pap smear due to insurance changes.
On to my story. After finally getting my pap, it came back abnormal. Not horribly abnormal. Simply atypical squamous cells, which is doctor for 'you probably had an infection when we did the pap, come back in three months'. I come back in three months. Once again, I get atypical squamous cells. Had that been it, no biggie. I would continue to come back yearly. However, I also got an abnormal reaction. No clue what that means, but my doctor wants me to have a colposcopy, or a cervical biopsy. Fabulous. I'm having this done tomorrow.
Now, I'm a bit nervous and slightly terrified of the biopsy. You want to stick a needle where??? Not only that, I'm a bit scared about the results. In my job (amazing ultrasound technologist), I recently ran into a girl I used to be friends with in high school and she was telling me how she had cervical cancer. That was probably around the time I decided, shit I need to schedule my pap. I'll keep all zero of my readers informed on the outcomes.
No comments:
Post a Comment